Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mikey's Pick--The Flamming Lips

News regarding The Flamming Lips is always pretty strange, by this time their strange is the norm.  Latley I have been pretty dissapointed with them.  Does anyone else remember their promise to release a song a month this year to create a full album in that way?  What happened to that?  I believe it was last month that they released that bizarre cell phone song/album.  Originally, this album was released on a four disc set each disc to be played simultaneously to create the full sound.  The Flamming Lips wish for people to have the same "people coming together vibe" with their cell phones, i guess.  Personally, I find this a backward step for music, we do not need to depersonalize our music even more than it already is.  It may be neat for a minute but I prefer a larger sound system than a couple cell phone speakers.
They have just released an EP with Neon Indian which is also disappointing due to the fact it was only sold to two record stores in the country.  What the hell is that?  Anyways, the first track "David Bowie is Dying" you can hear below thanks to the internet.  
The Flaming Lips & Neon Indian - Is David Bowie Dying by weallwantsome1

I am not a big fan of this song but would really like to hear the rest of the EP, too bad I can't at the moment.  So!  Let me  stop my rant I love this band and think that they are one of the best preformaning bands ever and are always trying out new stuff sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.   In the meantime, let's go back in time and enjoy their old time classic.



If you have never seen them live check this link out.  Nothing short of disappointing.
Flamming Lips Interview/Live Show  

No comments:

Post a Comment