Saturday, February 19, 2011

Shaun's Pick- Sufjan Stevens

If there's one musician that always seems to keep me intrigued, it's Sufjan Stevens. After years of writing beautiful folk songs and writing about two of the fifty states, and an instrumental album based on Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, Sufjan scraped all of it for an electronic-based concept album inspired by a schizophrenic artist named Royal Robertson. I saw Sufjan live during The Age of Adz tour last November and I can easily tell you it's one of the best live performances I've ever seen. It has all the glitz and glamour of a Lady Gaga show, except you can actually enjoy the music. And even though it shouldn't be the one thing I remember the most, SUFJAN WAS DANCING. Which is weird when you're used to his old sound.
But whether he is singing songs with elaborate stories, or writing simple lyrics to electronic beats, I will look forward to whatever he has coming next.

I'm splitting up the videos into two different categories so you can see the dramatic change in his music from his earlier work to the present.

Old Sufjan:





New Sufjan:


No comments:

Post a Comment